"Home is the nicest word there is." ~ Laura Ingalls Wilder
In love with Jesus. Wife to my best friend & man I love more than life. Mama to 4 amazing God given blessings. Proud Homemaker & Homeschooler. Living life with it's ups and downs and blogging about it!

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Christmas

Copy and add your own then forward on to your closest friends:

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate?
Love them both!

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?
Santa gifts were not wrapped at Mama & Daddy's, so they are not wrapped here. Because we opened gifts at our house on Christmas Eve and Charlie's family opened on Christmas morning, so we open on Christmas morning and keep our tradition of leaving the Santa gifts unwrapped. Maybe that makes sense to everyone, lol.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Colored lights and white. Colored on the house and white on the tree, this year. But, we change it up every year!

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Yes, we have the same one that I bought at Dollar General the Christmas we got engaged.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
Thanksgiving(the week after this year)

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Oh, my sister's cookies and candy and my Mom's ham and my little sister's potato chip candy and my mother in law's pork roast and Cheryl, my sister-in-law always makes yummy desserts, she made some snickers candy one year that was REALLY good! (oops, that's a dessert)

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?
I have so many. My Daddy and Mama made Christmas so special. We never had much money but that didn't matter, we always got something special and we had the best traditions that we still have today. Santa always came on Christmas Eve while we were at Granny's having an amazing supper with ALL the Ferguson family and sometimes some Coffman's too. We usually had sometime Christmas day with Papaw & Mamaw Susie (Treat). They always gave us neat gifts (usually homemade) and Papaw Ferguson always drove all the way to Wal-Mart, going about 20 mph, and bought all the grandchildren gloves. That was his big deal and we looked forward to it every year, we always got pretty ones, too. And this man never went anywhere so for him to do that just for us was so special. There are so many great memories. My dad got us a chip (logging) truck one year that was remote control and mom got us cabbage patch newborn babies. They have them at Wal-Mart now, but they are nowhere near the same. I could bore you all day with this, so I will stop. I LOVE christmas!!!!!

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
What truth? Santa IS real. He is real in the hearts of all giving people. We still believe in Santa and always will!

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Yes but just one at our house. At Mom and Dad's and Ralph & Barbara's we have our family things and open gifts. It's always crazy fun!

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
Usually with all the ornaments we've had forever. The first year we were married, we went to the dollar store and bought about 20 ornaments on sale and lights and a star tree topper. Jeremy and Tammy gave us a tree. We still have the tree and the decorations and use them every year and we add a new ornament every year and the girls now each get to pick out or make an ornament.

11. Snow, love it or hate it?
I love it


12. Can you ice skate?
Nope.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
I think it was the year we just got a purse filled with lip gloss and unicorn notebooks and pretty pens and glitter and things like that. My mom and dad worried so much that year because Daddy had to have back surgery and couldn't work and they were so sad that Christmas was so small. It wasn't small to us. They took us to see so many lights that year and did so many extra things with us to make up for what they thought was a bad christmas and it was the best we ever had because we spent so much time together and we had Daddy's full attention which was not usual because he usually worked such long hours during the holidays. That purse was my favorite thing because they put so much thought into it and my other favorite present was a manicure and a new Christmas dress from Aunt Kathy when I was a Sr. in high school. WOW! That was awesome!

14. What’s the most important thing about this holiday for you?
Making memories with my children and making sure they know the real meaning of Christmas. (Amen, Chris!)

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
Pumpkin Roll (Aunt Sheila's) and Italian Cream Cake (Barbara's)


16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Shopping for my family, I LOVE it! When you get a gift, realize that I have put A LOT of extreme thought into it, it takes me forever to get done, lol.

17. What tops your tree?
A star.


19. What is your favorite Christmas song?
O Holy Night, What child is this, O come all ye faithful,anything by Michael W. Smith, and the music of the nutcracker suite.lol, I have SO many!

20. Candy cane?
Oh yes, definitely. My mom always puts these in our stockings. Even today, everyone gets peppermint and oranges and apples and nuts.

21. Favorite Christmas movie?
Rudolph.

22. What do you leave for Santa?
eggnog, hot cocoa, and cookies, he has quite a variety. Hum, Daddy(Charlie) insists, I wonder why? lol

Everyone who reads my blog and has a blog, I hope that you do this so I can learn more about you! I love hearing everyone's traditions. This time of year is SO special! Even if you are not posting on your blog anymore or you are taking a break, please do this. I will love you forever!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Julie

*I am putting my sister's answers on here as well(with her permission, of course!) She will not have time to put them on her blog because she has so much going on right now that she can't blog. I thought it was interesting how similar our answers are and she also reminded me of some things that I forgot to say! lol. And I love her answer about what is most important! So, without further adieu, here it is:

Copy and add your own then forward on to your closest friends:

1. Eggnog or hot chocolate?
Hot Chocolate! Even though I love my sisters eggnog cheesecake, I just cant stand to drink plain eggnog.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?
He just sets them under the tree of course. He always has and always will.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
We don't have any lights on our house right now but if we do it will be colored.
4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Not yet but plan to.
5. When do you put your decorations up?
Whenever we dig them out of the shop or buy them. We have been slowly building up our stock but with not much money to go around during Christmas time, giving gifts is more important than decorating.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Sweet Potatoes....is that a desert? We just always used it as a side dish...lol
7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?
The Christmas that my sister and I got our Chip (kinda like log) trucks from dad....they were remote control and we loved them....and the year we got our cabbage patch dolls and the year we got our doll beds and rocking chairs from our aunt and uncle and or rag dolls from our aunt and uncle...(another set of relatives of ours. :) ) but we always went to our dads moms and dads for Christmas eve and then mom and dad would pretend to help Santa get out of the house when we got home..and then on Christmas day, we always went to our moms parents...it was so fun..

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
What truth...there is a Santa, always. he is in our hearts in the spirit of giving. when my sister and i were about 10, we found a box of presents in our parents room. dad was supposed to be watching us while mom went shopping again and he was watching a game instead...lol so we snuck in and found them then on Christmas eve, they were unwrapped under the tree....we knew...but we had a nephew to keep it going for and then a niece and then another niece and now our kids...so it just keeps going. it is so much fun. giving to others...i don't care what i get as long as every one else has something....

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
We open all the gifts at my parents and then since it is four hours away, we usually have a day before or after that we open gifts with Paul's family. and if we want, we leave gifts at the house for the kids to open when we come home on Christmas day...

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
Lights and ornaments. It is a 5ft tree that my sister gave us when we got married cause we didn't have a tree. We usually buy some new ornaments every year if we have the money and each kid gets to pick out an ornament from target usually. this year, jack put all the stuff on and the kids handed it to him....it was interesting...

11.Snow, love it or hate it?
Love it..I would live in Alaska if I could. I hate hot weather and really love the snow and the cold..
12. Can you ice skate?
no but would love to learn.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
see....# ? about the Christmas memory....and add my grandpas gloves every year and my other grandparents homemade presents...usually knitted or crocheted booties..(slippers for our feet) i still have the last pair that my grandma made me when i was little, i wore the toes out of them..lol. and yes Julie, i remember the purses....we had a wonderful Christmas that year cause daddy was home and we got to go get the tree with him and he was there to help us decorate it and he made jokes about us putting something in the wrong place and about it being crooked...I miss times like that.
14. What’s the most important thing about this holiday for you?
This holiday, like all the rest is about making sure that everyone else gets something. It is all about the spirit of Christ...and he gave his life..I know we are supposed to be celebrating his birth but I just think that he would want us to celebrate it by giving. I get so tired of hearing kids gripe about what they didnt get or that they didnt get enough or that it was the wrong thing...I know parents that spend hundreds of dollars on their kids and it isnt enough or its the wrong thing or they just plain throw a fit..I hate that. be happy with what you got. some kids dont get anything. and someone worked very hard to give that gift. so what if it is the wrong thing...thats not the point of christmas..the point is give..and celebrate Christ being born so we have a savior..
15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
My moms divinity and commodity candy. I love them and my sister's fudge and my mother in laws peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate..and....my other sister's Italian Cream Cake (when she makes it hint hint...oh and her eggnog cheese cake...she has to make that....)
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Opening presents on Christmas eve..and whatever our Church decides to do for people....usually, we do adopt an angel or we pass out presents to elderly people. It is so warming to know that some little kid or elderly person will have a Christmas too. and the elderly just love socks and gloves and little things like that.
17. What tops your tree?
An angel. I bought her at Target last year. Shes nothing big but i waited along time for her...and my tree is blue and silver by the way with clear lights...so she is a beautiful mixture of blue and silver.
19. What is your favorite Christmas song?
O Holy night, O Little Town of Bethleham, Let It Snow, ,,,,,almost all of them.
20. Candy cane?
yes, every year in everyone's stocking...my mom always made sure of that....along with fruit and nuts and candy, (you know the Brachs kind that you could fill up a sack full for so much...we used to love picking it out and never understood how it ended up in our stocking...lol)

21. Favorite Christmas movie?
Weird I know but A Christmas Carol. I have loved that movie ever since Mrs. Gregory made us watch it in High School Thank You Mrs Gregory....It has a very good moral to the story.
22. What do you leave for Santa?
We don't really leave anything cause we aren't home on Christmas morning and at moms he comes on Christmas eve...so there really isn't anything to leave..

Crystal

Hope you enjoyed that! Love, Julie

3 comments:

Darcy said...

I enjoy reading these too. I did a very similar Christmas tag last year. Here is the link to it if you want to read it.

My favorite Christmas movie is National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. I laugh every time! :) I also enjoy watching the Charlie Brown Christmas special with the kids.

In Light of the Truth... said...

Italian Cream Cake?? That sounds fabulous! Do you have the recipe??

Denise said...

This was fun.

If we don't find Him in the small things, how will we ever find Him in the big ones? ~Elisabeth Elliot