"Home is the nicest word there is." ~ Laura Ingalls Wilder
In love with Jesus. Wife to my best friend & man I love more than life. Mama to 4 amazing God given blessings. Proud Homemaker & Homeschooler. Living life with it's ups and downs and blogging about it!

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

PCOS...

Kids are napping and I have a few minutes so, I am going ot write about something that has affected my life and the lives of many other women, many who do not even know what is wrong or that there may be anything wrong with them...

I HATE the above initials. I really do. PCOS has caused so much grief in my life and in the lives of a lot of people close to me. If you want to read more please click on the link above. My PCOS was in a sort of "remission" for a few years, thus, all 3 babies that I was able to have after hormone treatment during my pregnancy with Claire. Currently, it is back in FULL FORCE!!!

I have been doing research and taking some herbal things. Currently, Vitex and a Vitamin B complex. I am trying really hard to figure out a way to do mostly a low carb diet without killing myself & my family (Charlie has high blood pressure) with a lot of high fat stuff. Low-carb diets have proven very beneficial to PCOS sufferers and I am firmly convinced, as is my doctor, that is how I conceived Claire in the first place!

RIght now, I am struggling with about a 20 lb weight gain (in the past 3 months!!) excess facial hair, acne (I haven't had acne this bad since I was 14), depression, anxiety, mood swings, always hungry, SOOOOO tired, achy, bloated and a sore tummy (from the ovarian cysts) not to mention a few other symptoms. :( I am NOT a happy camper... so, I am trying some new things:

*Exercising with either walking DVD (3-5 miles a day) or "The Shred" 3-5 times a week, at least!! I would do it every day, but I am being real, it's probably NOT going to happen every.single. day. with 3 kids and homeschooling!!

*Sam-E- for depression and anxiety.

*Low carb diet...the best I can do.. it's expensive and hard to do with small children but I am going to do the best I can. Some things I am going to try: *keeping deviled eggs and cheese sticks in the fridge, chicken salads and egg salads made up for lunch, trying to STAY AWAY from the breads and desserts...I will allow myself to cheat only on the weekends (by doing this before, it was the only way to stick with it, to allow myself "small" cheats on the weekends, I could make it through the week and saw results quicker).


If any of you suffer from PCOS, do you have anything to share that has worked for you?? More people suffer from this than they know so if any of the symptoms sound familiar, please have it checked out. Although, to warn you, some doctors are not very good at diagnosing this. I went for YEARS without knowing what was wrong with me!!

Hope this helps someone and if you have any questions, I will be happy to answer what I can.

~Julie~

2 comments:

Malisa @ Sanity in Small Doses said...

I'm so sorry you suffer from this. I will be praying for you.

Denise said...

Bless your dear heart, I also suffered with this, was one of the reasons I was never able to have children. I am praying for you. I love you.

If we don't find Him in the small things, how will we ever find Him in the big ones? ~Elisabeth Elliot