2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
5 teaspoons red chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
6 ounces tomato paste
2 1/4 cups water or half chicken broth
salt and pepper
- Melt butter/margarine in a sauce pan.
- Make a roux by browning flour in melted butter/margarine.
- Add spices and tomato paste; stir until well blended into roux.
- Add water gradually, stirring constantly.
- Heat until boiling.
- Continue simmering and stirring until desired thickness is achieved.
- Taste every so often and adjust spices as needed.
- Once desired consistency and taste is reached, coat the bottom of a pan with the sauce, add freshly rolled enchiladas, then pour the remainder of the red sauce over enchiladas.
- Place pan in oven and cook until enchiladas are done.