This is going to be pretty boring and basic but I am doing it so hopefully I can stay on track and get back to saving us some money! This last minute meal planning is costing a lot of money. I still cannot eat beef very much (it makes me ill) so we are trying some new things! I will post recipes to go with this as I get time!
Monday- Leftover Ham, steamed carrots, cabbage, Baked Potatoes, Sweet tea
Tuesday-*Charlie's Mexican Chicken, Mexican Rice & Beans, Sweet tea
Wednesday- *Italian Sandwiches, Marinated mushrooms & olives,*Potato Salad, Sweet tea
Thursday- Cheesy Ham & Rice Soup, French Bread, Sweet tea
Friday- BLT's, Potato Salad, Sweet tea
Saturday- Ham Sandwiches, *Deviled eggs, Pickles, Sweet tea
Sunday- *Rotini with Two Cheeses, Peas & Carrots, Salad, *Blueberry Cheese Tart, Sweet tea
*I will try to get these recipes posted later today. Just be patient with me and check back! I have a house to clean and two children with one on the way! I also have to make a trip to town (30 minutes away) later today and call my mother who is out of town on vacation. Needless to say, I will not be blogging and definitely not be at the computer much today. I have already spent way too much time as it is! Have a great & productive day!
Updated: Here are the recipes, Enjoy!
1 jar mild pickled Italian peppers (peperoncini) undrained (Greek will work, too)
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
Submarine or Italian rolls (8 in. long) split
1/3 c. butter at room temp.
German Bologna, thinly sliced
Olives, sliced & drained
Lettuce & tomato (if you like)
Vinegar & oil (if you like)
Combine peppers, onions & olives in bowl; toss to mix. Spread cut sides of rolls with butter, then with mustard. For each sandwich, layer bologna, cheese, salami & pepperoni. Sprinkle with italian herbs (parsley, tarragon & chives) optional. Drain peppers, olives & onions. Pat dry with paper towel. Arrange on top of meat, cheese & herbs. Drizzle with small amount of vinegar & oil. Cover with tops of rolls; cut sandwiches crosswise into halves or thirds to serve.
*Rotini with Two Cheeses
12 oz. rotini pasta
1 & 1/2 Tbsp. salt
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. all p. flour
1 Tbsp. seasoned salt
2 tsp. dry mustard (I use spicy mustard)
1/4 tsp. white pepper
3 & 1/2 c. milk
1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
4 green onions, sliced
1 Tbsp. Worcesteshire sauce
4 oz. Swiss cheese, shredded
4 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Add rotini and salt to large pan of boiling water; cook, stirring occasionally until almost but not quite tender.6 to 7 minutes. Drain.
2. Melt butter in med. saucepan over med. heat. Stir in flour, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth; cook and stir until bubbly. Gradually whisk in milk; cook and stir until mixture thickens and bubbles for 1 minute.
3. Add mushrooms, 3 of the onions and worcestershire sauce to saucepan; mix well. Add swiss and cheddar cheeses; cook and stir over med.-low heat until cheeses are melted.
4. Combine rotini and cheese sauce in large bowl; mix well. Transfer to greased 2 qt. baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes (350 degrees). Garnish with remaining green onions.
* Blueberry Cheese Tart
1 pkg. (8 oz) cream cheese, room temp.
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1.3 c. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups fresh or dry -pack frozen blueberries
1/3 c. blueberry jelly
Butter cookie tart (recipe follows)
Whipped cream and blueberries for garnish
Butter Cookie Tart
1 & 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. sugar
3/4 tsp. grated orange rind (I skip this step)
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 c. butter, room temp.
2 large egg yolks
3/4 tsp. vanilla
1. Mix flour, sugar, orange rind and salt in med. bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in egg yolks and vanilla; knead in bowl until smooth. Regrigerate, wrapped in plastic for at least 2 hrs.
2. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface onto 11 inch circle; fit into 9X1 inch tart pan with removable bottom. Line pastry with parchment paper; fill with pie weights.
3. Bake in preheated 400 oven until pastry is set, about 10 min. Remove parchment and weights; continue baking until golden, about 5 minutes longer. Cool completely on wire rack.
1. Beat cream cheese in large mixer bowl until smooth and fluffy. Gradually add condensed milk; beating until blended. Beat in lemon juice and vanilla.
2. Spread cream cheese mixture into Butter Cookie Tart Shell. Refrigerate, covered ,until filling is set, at least 3 hrs.
3. Place blueberries on top of filling in 2nd layer. Melt jelly in small saucepan over med. heat; spoon over blueberries to glaze. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with whipped cream & blueberries.
Okay, that is all the recipes that I am posting today, I am exhausted! Hope you enjoy them!